Most churches select a survey week and conduct the survey at each service and activity during a standard week.
We suggest you avoid special events e.g. Baptisms, to give you a more regular and reliable sample of attenders. The attender survey will take approximately 15 to 20 minutes to complete.
Surveys should be completed:
at any activity of spiritual nurture at your church (e.g. in worship service/ mass, small groups etc.)
- by every attender aged 15 years and older
- ONCE only by each attender
Preparing your Congregation
Instructions on How to Run the Survey
Download a set of instructions below, or scroll down the page to read them in full.
Download instructions to run a Church Life Survey
Download instructions on how to complete a Children’s Survey
For churches that are NOT completing a Children's Survey, an activity sheet is available for children to use while adults attenders are completing the survey, if needed.
Download Children’s activity sheet
Before conducting the survey:
- Select the best time to run the survey in your church. Most churches will select a ‘survey week’ and conduct their survey once at each church service and activity during a standard week.
- Notify the church at least one week in advance.
- Supply those leading the services/activities with Attender Survey forms, a copy of the Instructions and NCLS Church Code for each church location (see page 1 of Instructions booklet).
- Plan to allow sufficient time for completion of the survey at each church service or activity, approximately 20 minutes.
- Bring sufficient blue or black pens or lead pencils for all attenders.
During the survey:
- Display the Church Code in a prominent place, so that the attenders can include this on the top right hand corner of their survey forms. Display PowerPoint slide of the Church Code.
- Read out Survey Instructions (see page 4 of Instructions booklet).
- Allow sufficient time for attenders to complete the survey form, approximately 20 minutes.
- Collect all completed Attender Survey forms in the Confidential Collection Envelopes.
- Safeguard confidentiality by sealing the Collection Envelopes and not reading attender responses.
After conducting the survey:
- Complete the Checklist Cover Sheet.
- Place the Confidential Collection Envelopes containing completed Attender forms, Children’s forms and Checklist Cover Sheet into the postpack in which they came.
- Stick the return address label to NCLS Research on your postpack.
the package back as soon as possible to NCLS Research at PO Box 968 North Sydney NSW 2059.